Thursday, April 22, 2010

Healthy Home, Healthy Earth.

Today is earth day. Happy Earth Day!! I have an unbelievable headache today so def no running or working out and not too much walking since I feel a little lightheaded which could be a recipe for disaster if I get dizzy again.

In honor of Earth Day and keeping in line with my writing about my health I'm gonna give you some of my goals that benefit me and the earth.

I'm trying to use homemade cleaners more than the convenient ones. I keep reading about how the air inside our homes may be worse than the air outside due to indoor pollutants. I also know that our dog likes to chew spray bottles if she can get to them. I'm assuming that when I have children they may also like to do similar things, if they find something along the same lines. That's a scary/expensive problem.

Sure, scrubbing bubbles make cleaning the shower much easier but when I look at the generic version and see a warning for fetal defects I really do have to ask myself..."Is it really that much easier?!?!" I mean, I'm still on my hands and knees scrubbing, albeit, not as hard. Maybe it would be a little more worth the risks if I could spray it and go to dinner and come home and the entire bathroom was cleaned...maybe.

I'm not entirely sure what all of these additives do to our bodies or the environment but I do know one thing: every so often people do something that's soooooo stupid those who come behind us have no idea how we didn't make the correlation earlier. Perhaps, sulfates and phthalates and nitrates are the mercury and lead of our ancestors (lead cups and cleaning hats with mercury i.e. mad hatters).

I will do what I can to make my household a healthy living environment, the same way that I'm trying to make my body healthy. After all, wouldn't we (as parents and future parents) do whatever we can to protect our children, even if that means that we have to scrub the tub a little more than we'd like to?

HAPPY EARTH DAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment